World Who is attacking Russia’s main base in Syria? A new mystery emerges in the war.

03:02  10 january  2018
03:02  10 january  2018 Source:   The Washington Post

France to launch international group targeting toxic gas attacks

  France to launch international group targeting toxic gas attacks France has asked some 30 countries to work together to preserve evidence of chemical weapons attacks and impose sanctions on those responsible after Russia ended an international inquiry into who is to blame for using toxic gas in Syria. France will host a meeting on Tuesday in Paris to launch the initiative, French U.N. Ambassador Francois Delattre told a United Nations Security Council meeting on nonproliferation of weapons of mass destruction on Thursday.U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is due to attend, the State Department said.The group will work together "collecting, conserving, exchanging and using ...

A new mystery emerges in the war . The attacks have also spurred a flurry of questions over who may be responsible for what amounts to the biggest military challenge yet to Russia ’ s role in Syria , just when Moscow is seeking to wind its presence down.

Unlike prior wars , the fact that Syria was of American interest and that aid, training and covert operations were taking place did not mean that the But a third possibility is emerging . The Russians may want to take a leading role in the Middle East. In Syria , an Attack on Russia ’ s Narrative.

a group of people standing around a plane: Russia’s vast Khmeimim air base in northwestern Latakia province, the headquarters of Russia’s military operations in Syria.© Ramil Sitdikov/Sputnik via AP Russia’s vast Khmeimim air base in northwestern Latakia province, the headquarters of Russia’s military operations in Syria. A series of mysterious attacks against the main Russian military base in Syria, including one conducted by a swarm of armed miniature drones, has exposed Russia’s continued vulnerability in the country despite recent claims of victory by President Vladimir Putin.

The attacks have also spurred a flurry of questions over who may be responsible for what amounts to the biggest military challenge yet to Russia's role in Syria, just when Moscow is seeking to wind its presence down.

Harry Potter smartphone game trailer released

  Harry Potter smartphone game trailer released Hogwarts Mystery is coming to iOS and Android later this year.The game will put players in the shoes of Hogwarts students, in the time between Harry's birth and his admission to the wizarding school.

blog '' is not exists.

In addition, a Russian soldier was apparently killed today by Free Syrian Army fighters who attacked a A Russian Su-24 Fencer attack jet, one of about a dozen based at Russia ’ s forward operating Other Russian new outlet headlines state that the shooting down of the Su-24 was an act of war .

In the most recent and unusual of the attacks, more than a dozen armed drones descended from an unknown location onto Russia's vast Kmeimim air base in northwestern Latakia province, the headquarters of Russia's military operations in Syria, and on the nearby Russian naval base at Tartus.

Russia said that it shot down seven of the 13 drones, used electronic countermeasures to safely bring down the other six, and that no serious damage was caused.

The drone attack, however, came less than a week after two Russian servicemen were killed in a sustained mortar assault on the same base, which appears to have caused some damage to Russian military assets.

The Russian Defense Ministry denied a report in the Russian Kommersant publication that seven warplanes were put out of action in the mortar attack, including two of its premier Su-35 fighter jets and four Su-24 attack aircraft, losses that would represent the worst single day for the Russian air force in decades. A Russian journalist posted photographs of damage that suggested at least some planes had been hit.

Sara hoping to follow in Open footsteps

  Sara hoping to follow in Open footsteps Eight Australian women will attempt to fight their way into the Australian Open including Sara Tomic who will attempt to join brother Bernard in the main draw.Bernard Tomic made a stunning return to competitive tennis on Wednesday, taking just 48 minutes to defeat Frenchman Vincent Millot in the first round of qualifying.

It was just a matter of time before Russia ’ s new expeditionary pocket air force in Syria began its bombing operations. Over the last few weeks Russian drones have been flying missions out of Latakia Air Base looking for targets. Regardless of who or what exactly Russia attacked today, the fact of

Along with the Su-34 s , the video shows heavily armed Su-25 Frogfoots as well as Su-24 Fencers at the air base . These massive cargo aircraft have been a crucial component of the air bridge between Russia and Syria that has emerged over the last month or so.

a cluttered living room: This photo taken from the Russian Defence Ministry Press Service Facebook page on Tuesday shows one of the drones that was forced to land.© Leah Binkovitz/ This photo taken from the Russian Defence Ministry Press Service Facebook page on Tuesday shows one of the drones that was forced to land. Taken together, the drone and mortar attacks appear to represent the most concerted assault on the Russian headquarters in Syria since the military intervention in September 2015, which broadly succeeded in its goal of shoring up President Bashar al-Assad's fight to suppress the seven-year-old rebellion against his rule. Russian news outlets have also reported two smaller drone attacks against Russian outposts in the provinces of Homs and Latakia, as well as another attack against Kmeimim, all in the past two weeks.

Senior Pentagon soldier warns ISIS: Quit or be shot in the face, beaten with entrenching tools

  Senior Pentagon soldier warns ISIS: Quit or be shot in the face, beaten with entrenching tools Command Sgt. Maj. John Wayne Troxell traveled to Syria twice last year. In October, he visited Raqqa, the Islamic State’s former de facto capital that U.S.-backed forces seized. In comments published by the Pentagon afterward, he said commanders of the U.S.-backed forces were warning the militants to surrender.“There is no negotiating with these guys,” Troxell said. “They are either going to surrender or they are going to get killed.

blog '' is not exists.

As reports of mystery gunmen and rooftop snipers continued to emerge , events that unfolded halfway around the world 49 What Are Our Military Options in Syria ?, The New Republic, March 19, 2012. In the media war that takes place around Syria , you’re probably wondering who is telling the truth.

The Khmeimim base, the heart of Russia's military operations in Syria, is deep in Syrian-government-held territory and until now had seemed immune to attack, said Maxim Suchkov of the Russian International Affairs Council, who also writes for the publication Al-Monitor.

"They thought the base was secure, but now it seems it is vulnerable," he said. Among the questions being asked in Moscow, he said, are whether the Russian military had adequately secured the base and whether it had failed to detect the acquisition of new technology by its adversaries.

The attacks also raise questions about the sustainability of Russia's gains in Syria, said Jennifer Cafarella of the Washington-based Institute for the Study of War. In December, Putin visited the Khmeimim base and said Russia would start to wind its presence down because the war in Syria is essentially over.

The events of recent days are a demonstration "that whoever conducted these attacks can still penetrate regime areas and impose costs on the Russians," she said. "The gains the regime has made are not secure and are at high risk of being temporary."

Fringe Socceroo Jamie Maclaren joins Hibs

  Fringe Socceroo Jamie Maclaren joins Hibs Fringe Socceroos striker Jamie Maclaren has been loaned to Scottish Premier League outfit Hibernian, his coach says. Australian World Cup hopeful Jamie Maclaren has agreed to join Scottish Premier League outfit Hibernian on loan.The five-cap Socceroos striker has left German second-tier side Darmstadt after his selection bid for Russia 2018 stalled with a lack of game time.The clubs have not formally announced the deal but Darmstadt coach Dirk Schuster confirmed Hibernian have secured the ex-A-League star's services.

blog '' is not exists.

Russian banker warns against new US sanctions. Donald Trump continues feud with FBI in attack on deputy director. Viktor Orban’ s oligarchs: a new elite emerges in Hungary. Putin’ s aims in Syria a mystery , US says. Wednesday, 16 September, 2015.

Perhaps the biggest question of all, however, is who was responsible. What makes the attacks especially unusual is that there has been no claim, triggering a frenzy of speculation in the Russian and Syrian news media over who may have carried them out.

Russia's Defense Ministry on Tuesday appeared to accuse the United States for supplying the technology for the drone attack, saying that assault required a higher level of expertise than any armed group in Syria is known to possess. Compounding the suspicions, the ministry said in a statement on its Facebook page that a U.S. Poseidon reconnaissance aircraft was in the skies above the area for four hours during the drone assault.

Pentagon spokesman Eric Pahon said the allegation was "absolutely false." The Islamic State has often used armed drones against U.S.-allied forces in eastern Syria and Iraq without "significant impact" he said, adding that small drones are readily available commercially.

But the nearest Islamic State positions are hundreds of miles away from the western coastal province where Khmeimim is located, making the group one of the more unlikely culprits.

Most of the Islamic State drones used against U.S. allies, moreover, had a range of no more than one to two kilometers, according to an analysis by the defense consultancy IHS Markit group. The Russian Defense Ministry statement said the drones used in the Khmeimim attack came from between 50 and 100 kilometers away, making them far more sophisticated and expanding the pool of potential suspects, the IHS analysis said.

Hamas official shot in head in 'accident'

  Hamas official shot in head in 'accident' Hamas says Imad al-Alami shot himself while "inspecting his weapon" and is in a critical condition.Imad al-Alami shot himself while "inspecting his personal weapon in his home" and was in a critical condition, Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum said.

My Weblog is proudly powered by WordPress Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

blog '' is not exists.

One of the myriad Syrian opposition groups is the most probable suspect, Suchkov said. But, none of the rebel groups is known to be within mortar range of the base, and they typically assert responsibility for all their operations. "If it was the opposition, they tend to put everything online and boast about it," he said.

Among the theories circulating widely is that disgruntled Alawites from Assad's own minority sect were responsible. A statement about the attacks on the base, which is in a predominantly Alawite area, was posted online in the name of a shadowy group called the Free Alawite Movement. It warned Alawites who support the Syrian regime that the attacks proved Assad's hold on power is not secure but did not explicitly claim that it carried out the attacks. A number of Alawite opposition members said they did not think the group is real and speculated that foreign intelligence agencies are seeking to create the impression of strife among regime loyalists.

Another claim made in Syrian opposition news outlets is that an Iranian-backed militia fighting on behalf of the regime and located in the government-controlled hills nearby, was responsible. According to that theory, Iran wants to thwart Russia's efforts to impose a peace settlement on Syria that would undermine Iranian interests.

"There are so many theories," Suchkov said. "But it's a mystery at the moment."

Australian Open 2018: Daunting match-up for Alex de Minaur .
Gun Australian youngster Alex de Minaur has drawn a daunting opponent in the Australian Open first round – former top-10 player Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic. De Minaur, in a rich vein of form in the lead-up to the first major of 2018, picked up a main draw spot after winning the Australian Open wildcard play-off last month.De Minaur has already marched into the Sydney International quarter-finals and the 18-year-old was due to play Feliciano Lopez in the final eight on Thursday night.Australia's best hope in the men's draw, Nick Kyrgios, will meet Brazilian Rogerio Dutra Silva.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!