Sport Canberra Raiders to hand down six-week punishment to Jack Wighton over assault case

13:05  08 july  2018
13:05  08 july  2018 Source:   sportingnews.com

Ricky Stuart confirms Canberra Raiders' controversial call on Jack Wighton

  Ricky Stuart confirms Canberra Raiders' controversial call on Jack Wighton Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has publicly confirmed the club won’t sack full-back Jack Wighton, regardless of the outcome of his court appearance on Wednesday. Wighton on Thursday entered guilty pleas on two assault charges and one count of public urination outside a Canberra nightclub in February and will face sentencing next week.The Green Machine reluctantly stood Wighton down from Saturday’s 26-22 loss to the Broncos under heavy pressure from the NRL after initially flying him to Brisbane for the clash.

" Canberra Raiders today stood down Jack Wighton from this week 's match against the Broncos and will convene a Board Meeting next week to discuss his position," the club said in a statement.

Wighton has been stood down for the past two weeks and it appears he could return to the NRL this year if the NRL accepts the Raiders ' sanctions. About 2.55am, a man approaches and shakes Wighton 's hand , only for the NRL NRL: Blake Austin inspires Raiders miracle win over Bulldogs.

a man smiling for the camera© Provided by Sportal com au

Canberra are looking to slap Jack Wighton with a six-week suspension, but NRL intervention may put the troubled fullback in danger of missing more of the 2018 season.

Wighton has pleaded guilty to five charges of assault and one count of public urination in the ACT Magistrates Court over a brawl in February.

The NRL is expected to hand down its verdict on Monday, with Canberra encouraging their internally-decided sanction.

The Australian’s and Sporting News Australia contributor Brent Read believes the Raiders will put up a fight, but the decision ultimately comes down to the governing body.

NRL set to reject Raiders' six-week ban for Jack Wighton

  NRL set to reject Raiders' six-week ban for Jack Wighton Canberra suspended Wighton for six weeks but NRL boss Todd Greenberg wants a longer ban.Wighton told police when questioned about his unprovoked attacks on five men in Civic on February 3 that he didn't remember anything about the night.

The Raiders had previously committed to allowing Wighton to play until the outcome of his case was known. The Canberra Times reports police have reviewed CCTV footage of the alleged incident following police reports of multiple assaults occurring at the Canberra nightspot between 2.45am and

Canberra fullback Jack Wighton has been stood down by the club for the clash against Brisbane on Saturday night, after pleading guilty to assault charges.

‘’Canberra had a board meeting on Friday. It’s my understanding that at that board meeting they said they want to give Jack six weeks,’’ Read told Triple M.

‘’The NRL as I understand want more than that. Canberra will not change their stance, they are saying ‘you want Jack Wighton suspended for more than six weeks, you’ve got to do it yourself, you’ve got to come over the top of us’.

‘’If that happens it will be a very unhappy Canberra board and I expect them to come out and say something publicly about it because they have a view that they have always been very harsh on players who cross the line.

NRL to step in over Wighton ban

  NRL to step in over Wighton ban NRL CEO Todd Greenberg has warned Canberra the Raiders' proposed suspension for fullback Jack Wighton could be overruled by the league.The NRL is set to overrule the Raiders' six-week ban for Wighton, meaning the 25-year-old could be forced to sit out the rest of the season.

Jack Wighton will return to court. Photo: Fairfax Media. Wighton was stood down for Canberra 's agonising loss at the hands of the Brisbane Broncos which has left them six points out of the top eight with nine rounds remaining.

Raiders want Jack back, but NRL decides Wighton 's future on Monday Fagan said the directors wanted Wighton to "definitely play again this year"."I think we

‘’They’ve sacked blokes in the past, they’re a club that has always taken a hard-line stance on this issue and misbehaviour and they think they should be given the right, given what they have done in the past, to make a decision on Jack Wighton.

‘’But it looks as though it will probably be taken out of their hands.’’

The Raiders are likely to use Todd Carney, Blake Ferguson and Josh Dugan as examples who were all cut loose due to disciplinary reasons.

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart publicly confirmed the club won't sack Wighton regardless of the outcome of his court case.

They reluctantly stood down the under-siege fullback last week under heavy pressure from the NRL and he played no part in their thrilling 32-38 win over Canterbury on Saturday night.

Jack Wighton ban: Paul Gallen slams 'inconsistent' NRL .
Gal doesn't hold back

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
This is interesting!