Sport No Aussies left at Sydney tennis

18:37  11 january  2017
18:37  11 january  2017 Source:   MSN

Djokovic recovers from slow start to begin year with win in Doha

  Djokovic recovers from slow start to begin year with win in Doha Defending champion Novak Djokovic made a sticky return to action before recovering from losing the opening four games to beat Germany's Jan-Lennard Struff at the Qatar Open on Monday. Djokovic, who was deposed as world number one by Andy Murray at the back end of last year and split with coach Boris Becker, eventually snapped into his usual rhythm to win 7-6(1) 6-3. © REUTERS/Ibraheem Al Omari Tennis - Qatar Open The Serbian will play either Florian Mayer of Germany or Argentine Horacio Zeballos in the second round."It's the first match of the year.

No Aussies left at Sydney tennis . Matt Barton, Jordan Thompson and Alex De Minaur have been eliminated from the Sydney International, meaning there are no more Australians in the main draw. Teenager Alex De Minaur was so bullish about reaching the quarter-finals of the Sydney International he ignored the advice of physios and played against Andrey Kuznetsov on Wednesday night.

No Aussies left at Sydney tennis . Paul Annacone, a Tennis Channel analyst, had a knack for bringing aging champions across the finish line. He was with Pete Sampras when Sampras won his 14th and final major at the 2002 US Open. Annacone coached Roger Federer for three years, from 2010-13, and guided the 30-year-old to two ATP World Tour year-end titles, a return to the No. 1 ranking and a seventh Wimbledon championship.

Thompson went down 7-5 6-4 to fifth seed Philipp Kohlschreiber. © AAP Image/Dean Lewins Thompson went down 7-5 6-4 to fifth seed Philipp Kohlschreiber.

Teenager Alex De Minaur was so bullish about reaching the quarter-finals of the Sydney International he ignored the advice of physios and played against Andrey Kuznetsov on Wednesday night.

Regrettably for De Minaur it backfired, with an abdominal strain ending his bid to become the first player under the age of 18 to reach the final eight in Sydney since Lleyton Hewitt in 1999.

The 17-year-old suffered the injury on Tuesday, when he shocked world No.46 Benoit Paire to claim his maiden ATP tour win.

De Minaur retired on Wednesday after dropping his opening set against Kuznetsov 6-2 in 40 minutes, but remains upbeat he will be fit to take part in the Australian Open.

Konta crushes Radwanska to win Sydney title

  Konta crushes Radwanska to win Sydney title Britain's Johanna Konta overpowered Agnieszka Radwanska 6-4 6-2 in a one-sided victory in the final of the Sydney International on Friday to claim her second career WTA title. The Sydney-born world number 10 reached the semi-finals at the Australian Open last year and will be a major threat again next week going by her form in this week's warm-up.The 25-year-old had lost both her previous meetings with 2013 champion Radwanska but simply brushed aside the world number three with a 82-minute display of aggression and power at the Olympic Tennis Centre.

Related Stories. Read: Aussie Jarmila Wolfe retires from tennis . Read: Matosevic bounced from Aus Open qualifiers. Read: Raonic out to take Australian Open shot. Read: No 2 seed Isner wins at ASB Classic. Read: Bouchard, Konta advance to Sydney semis. Most Read. ● No Aussies left at Sydney tennis .

A part of RecordSearch is unavailable, or your session has expired, or you have exited RecordSearch and are trying to re-enter it without logging on first. You can login again and, if one of our other Alphabetical index to ships carrying passengers arriving at Sydney .

"I was feeling this halfway through my first-round match but with adrenaline and that, I sort of pushed through," De Minaur said.

"As soon as I finished that match, I went to the physio and tried to do everything I could to get my ab ready.

"Physios were trying to get me, sort of told me it was a good idea not to play, but I still wanted to make an effort and see how it was on court.

"I could feel it was gradually getting worse. I felt like it was better not to risk actually getting a tear."

De Minaur will pocket $50,000 if he makes his senior grand slam debut next week, as opposed to the $12,675 on offer if he reached the Sydney quarters.

"I will head to Melbourne tomorrow and then we will start treatment, trying to get ready for AO (Australian Open). Pretty sure it should be all right for AO," he said.

Aussie tennis player banned for betting

  Aussie tennis player banned for betting Australia's Callum Puttergill has been banned for six months by the Tennis Integrity Unit for betting-related offences.The South African-born 23-year-old, who's based in Noosa, is a doubles specialist who plays on the Challenger Tour.

“I think, between the two of them, it’s the future of Australian tennis ,” Rosewall said. “It’s very bad luck with the two Aussies meeting in the first round like that. I watched some of their doubles semifinal in Brisbane and they’re both playing pretty good. “Unfortunately only one of them will be left after the first round.” Apia International men’s first round action continues on Monday at Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre.

More Sport News. No Aussies left at Sydney tennis . Matt Barton, Jordan Thompson and Alex De Minaur have been eliminated from the Sydney International, meaning there are no more Australians in the main draw. Lucie Safarova bundled out of Hobart WTA. Bernard Tomic has lost his opening Kooyong Classic match to Belgian David Goffin but feels he will be ready for the Australian Open. Aussie Jarmila Wolfe retires from tennis .

Hewitt was among many in the crowd at Sydney Olympic Park that watched De Minaur defeat Frenchman Paire, while the teen also dazzled fans at the Brisbane International with a shock qualifying win over 2015 Sydney finalist Mikhail Kukushkin.

"It's been an unbelievable week. I'm really happy," he said.

"Disappointed with how I had to finish off the tournament, but hopefully I can keep my level up for AO, which is the big picture.

"I'm not going to play Aussie Open juniors. I'm going to try and focus more on the pro tour."

Australia's hopes of a local winner in the main draw of the Sydney International ended on Wednesday, when youngsters De Minaur, Matt Barton and Jordan Thompson all lost.

Thompson went down 7-5 6-4 to fifth seed Philipp Kohlschreiber, while qualifier Barton lost a sapping three-setter to sixth seed Gilles Muller 6-1 3-6 6-4.

Thompson lasted 84 minutes in his second-round loss to Kohlschreiber, although the Australian wildcard could see the upside of testing himself in 41C heat.

"Playing in these conditions, it's good preparation (for the Australian Open)," Thompson said.

The 22-year-old, who defeated David Ferrer at the Brisbane International last week and also won last week's doubles final with Thanasi Kokkinakis, added belief would not be an issue at Melbourne Park.

"I have won plenty of matches already (in 2017). Won doubles matches as well. I'll be pretty confident," he said.

Two-time defending champion Victor Troicki headlined the men's winners on Wednesday, trumping Paolo Lorenzi 6-3 6-4.

Radwanska dumped out of Australian Open second round .
By Ian Ransom

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!