Australia Geoffrey Rush and Daily Telegraph in talks ahead of defamation trial

13:32  04 july  2018
13:32  04 july  2018 Source:   smh.com.au

Haddad's ex 'banged on door, shouted' in harrowing phone call

  Haddad's ex 'banged on door, shouted' in harrowing phone call The mother of late Sydney businesswoman Cecilia Haddad has revealed she overheard her daughter's ex clamouring to be let into her apartment during their final phone conversation. Milu Muller has told The Daily Telegraph she spoke to Ms Haddad on the phone on April 28 – believed to be the last time Ms Haddad was heard alive.Ms Muller said she and her 38-year-old daughter were discussing the former mining executive’s tax returns when Mario Marcelo Santoro appeared outside Ms Haddad's apartment, demanding to be let in.“I heard Marcelo’s voice outside, saying he wanted to come in,” Ms Muller said.

The Oscar-winning actor Geoffrey Rush has launched defamation proceedings against the Sydney Daily Telegraph , accusing the paper of splashing “spurious claims with bombastic titles on their front pages”.

Actor Geoffrey Rush is suing The Daily Telegraph over 'false' on-set claims. December 8: Rush announces he has launched defamation proceedings against The Daily Telegraph as Denise Welch returns to Loose Women after five years as she talks candidly about her alcohol battle and sobriety.

Video provided by Seven News

Actor Geoffrey Rush and representatives from The Daily Telegraph have met behind closed doors at the Federal Court in Sydney, fuelling speculation his high-profile defamation case against the newspaper may be settled ahead of the trial in September.

Rush, 66, is suing publisher Nationwide News for defamation over a series of articles alleging he behaved inappropriately towards a female cast member during a 2015-16 production of King Lear by the Sydney Theatre Company.

'Not competent': ASIC bans former NAB advisor Cowper for four years

  'Not competent': ASIC bans former NAB advisor Cowper for four years Former NAB financial advisor Graeme Cowper, who unsuccessfully sued Fairfax Media for defamation, was banned for advice "that did not appear to be appropriate".He is now banned from providing financial services for four years.

Geoffrey Rush is suing Sydney's Daily Telegraph in federal court for defamation . Eva Longoria, 41, and Jose Baston, 50, share photo of baby Santi's feet nearly one week after his birth A day ahead of their son's first week birthday.

Geoffrey Rush has been successful in legal moves ahead of his defamation case against a Sydney newspaper. Justice denies ‘fishing expedition’. The Daily Telegraph reported a complaint had been made against Rush during a STC production of King Lear.

He claims the articles, which appeared in The Daily Telegraph online and in print between November 30 and December 1 last year, defamed him by portraying him as a "pervert" and "sexual predator".

The Telegraph and its journalist Jonathon Moran - who, along with Rush, was seen entering the Law Courts complex in Sydney on Wednesday - are relying on the defence of qualified privilege.

The highly technical defence has a low rate of success among media outlets and requires a publisher to show a defamatory article was of public interest and it acted reasonably in publishing it.

The Telegraph had previously pleaded a defence of truth but suffered a significant loss in March when Federal Court Justice Michael Wigney ruled the entirety of the defence should be struck out because it was "vague and imprecise".

Defence in Craig McLachlan defamation case should be released, court hears

  Defence in Craig McLachlan defamation case should be released, court hears The actor is suing the ABC, Fairfax Media and actress Christie Whelan Browne after allegations of sexual misconduct were published in January this year.McLachlan, 52, is suing the ABC and Fairfax Media after an investigation published in January aired allegations of harassment and sexual misconduct made against him by female performers in the 2014 stage production of the Rocky Horror Show.

A judge has struck out large parts of The Daily Telegraph 's defence in the defamation case brought by film star Geoffrey Rush , saying it lacked crucial details and could not prove the allegation that Rush had "inappropriately touched" a coworker during a Sydney Theatre Company (STC)

The Daily Telegraph has had its bid for a cross-claim against the Sydney Theatre Company, which it lodged as part of its defamation defence against Geoffrey Rush , denied in court. The trial before Justice Michael Wigney is due to commence later this year, but this month Nationwide News filed a

Geoffrey Rush and wife Jane Menelaus outside the Federal Court in Sydney on Wednesday. © Brendan Esposito Geoffrey Rush and wife Jane Menelaus outside the Federal Court in Sydney on Wednesday. On Monday Justice Wigney made orders in chambers requiring the Telegraph to inform Rush by July 23 whether it "maintain[ed] any defence" under section 30 of the Defamation Act, which sets out the defence of qualified privilege.

If so, Justice Wigney ordered them to reveal the "identity of any confidential source" relied upon by them or, alternatively, to provide "a statement that the respondents do not propose to disclose those identities" and any evidence relied upon them to assert that each source was confidential.

In February, the Federal Court heard the Telegraph's sources for the Rush stories included an anonymous email, posts on social media, the Sydney Theatre Company's executive director Patrick McIntyre, at least three confidential sources, and actress Sarah Monahan.

The Telegraph had sought, unsuccessfully, to bring a cross-claim against the Sydney Theatre Company on the basis it had provided a comment before the newspaper ran the stories.

Justice Michael Wigney said in April that a newspaper attempting to sue its own source "is, to say the least, unusual".

The case is listed for an eight-day trial starting on September 3.

'Unethical': Rebel Wilson lashes Bauer ahead of High Court appeal .
The actress wrote in a tweet, "I couldn't let what happened stand."Rebel Wilson has labelled Bauer Media's behaviour "shockingly unethical" ahead of her High Court appeal.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!